Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Birthday Cake for Matthew

I wasn't able to attend my friend Matthew's birthday party so I promised I'd make him a cake.
These are the recipes I'm considering:

1. Blueberry Almond Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
It calls for almond paste (which I have from my sister's honeymoon in Italy)

2. Vanilla Saffron Cake with Rose Buttercream
This one calls for saffron (also from the Italian honeymoon) and rose water, which I have a bottle of in my cupboard.

He said not too sweet, so I'm thinking the first. It sounds so good, I'm just worried about getting blueberries since the season is kinda over. Maybe I'll use frozen. Egads!

UPDATE
I ended up making the Blueberry Almond Cake recipe above.
I didn't have enough of the almond paste, so I made some makeshift. I made 1/4 c. simple syrup, and mixed it with 1/2 c. almond meal and 1/2 c. sugar. It wasn't as sweet or smooth as the almond paste I had from Italy or as fragrant, but it did the job!

I ended up using frozen blueberries on the inside. I didn't get any shots of it cut. And I decided to put raspberries and lemon curd as decoration since the raspberries looked so good at the farmers market that morning.

No comments: